• [BETA] Welcome to the community Guest! We are currently operating in beta. If you notice any issues, please contact us at [email protected]

PS5 or Xbox Series X - or both? Or none?

KcMsterpce

May 20, 2020
I'm wondering if anyone out there has a perspective on what they think of the upcoming consoles by Sony and Microsoft.
For me personally, I've been wary of console gaming since it turned into a PC-in-a-box with the same issues as PC games. In the "old days", games could just be plugged in and played, with no need for internet service, yearly accounts, and massive patches. By 2008, I grew weary of games being busted on release. Additionally, I refused to pay for yearly subscriptions so I ended up having some games that literally could not be played at purchase because I had to log into an account I didn't have in order to download essential updates and/or options.
Now, the conveniences of console gaming are gone. They are simply a condensed mid-range PC that has less options, but just as many bugs and issues as a computer.

I didn't get the PS4, or the Xb1. I might decide on getting a console for the first time since 2009.
I will keep my eye out for exclusive titles, which MIGHT convince me to choose a side. As far as CPU/GPU performance comparisons... that's a tough one since it isn't just processing power that makes a game work better, or look prettier. It has more to do with what the developers accomplish with the tools at hand. Or, if no good games get released, then what's the point in caring about how powerful the console is?

Reactions: Audent

Undisclos3d

Team
Staff member
Premium
Apr 23, 2020
The Internet
justinlosh.com
I've been looking over the recent news and leaks for both PS5 and Xbox. I originally went from PS1, PS2, PS3, Xbox 360, and XB1. I think I'm swinging back towards the PS5 this time around. I thoroughly enjoyed more of the titles on PlayStation than XBox. We all have a bit more time to see what is announced, but I'm pretty confident I'll end up getting the PS5 Digital Edition this time around.

At this point in time, as annoying as it is, I don't think you'll really get around paying for their premium services. At least they're trying to sweeten the deals with free games and such. As far as hardware, I'll probably get some arguement but they're cutting it pretty close it seems as of late.

Reactions: KcMsterpce

Joshuhwaa

Premium
Jul 2, 2020
At this point most things come out on PC, I just need a console to play Rock Band on. That's assuming Rock Band even makes it that long.

Reactions: fredr0gers

Undisclos3d

Team
Staff member
Premium
Apr 23, 2020
The Internet
justinlosh.com
At this point most things come out on PC, I just need a console to play Rock Band on. That's assuming Rock Band even makes it that long.
Yeah, I'll probably only end up catching up on some titles and looking forward to a few games. But it definitely won't be my go to on a regular basis, always going to be PC for that.

KcMsterpce

May 20, 2020
Rock Band? That's still around? Haha I was a hardcore Guitar Hero and Rock Band user back in.... what, 2008? I thought the servers for the downloadable content closed down a couple years ago. Additionally, I thought that fad had completely disappeared.
Too bad, too, because I finished "Jordan" and "Through the Fire and Flames" on expert mode. Makes me think of South Park, when the best Guitar Hero player was able to do "Jordan" unplugged, from memory. Wow.... I was so impressed! :D :D

n1njacatz

May 20, 2020
If you stick to games from studios like Naughty Dog or Square Enix you're less likely to get buggy games. Those are strictly single player and it's usually what I buy consoles for -- not so much for online multiplayer games. I don't even deal with PlayStation's online services (PS Plus).

Some great story driven games from Playstation:

-Uncharted series
-Last of Us series
-Marvel's Spiderman
-Final Fantasy
-Persona Games

And many other JRPGs that I can't come up with at the moment, but I would take PS5 over the next XBOX simply because Sony has better exclusives, albeit very few.

Last edited:

KcMsterpce

May 20, 2020
Well, considering the fact that I haven't purchased a console game since 2010, and didn't buy a single game before that since 2007 unless it was Guitar Hero or Rock Band... things have changed a lot since then. I don't know much about reliability of titles these days. I merely mentioned the impetus that pushed me to giving up on consoles altogether; no longer plug-n-play; nickel-n-diming people with monthly subscription requirements; increased prices of games themselves with LESS content than before; busted games at release, etc... I just skipped the last generation of consoles altogether.
Not sure if I'm going to go for it again this go-around, but I haven't really "missed" owning a console for the last 7+ years, either.

Undisclos3d

Team
Staff member
Premium
Apr 23, 2020
The Internet
justinlosh.com
If you stick to games from studios like Naughty Dog or Square Enix you're less likely to get buggy games. Those are strictly single player and it's usually what I buy consoles for -- not so much for online multiplayer games. I don't even deal with PlayStation's online services (PS Plus).

Some great story driven games from Playstation:

-Uncharted series
-Last of Us series
-Marvel's Spiderman
-Final Fantasy
-Persona Games

And many other JRPGs that I can't come up with at the moment, but I would take PS5 over the next XBOX simply because Sony has better exclusives, albeit very few.
I'm looking forward to catching up a bit, specifically with Uncharted, Last of Us, Final Fantasy, and God of War. As far as PS5 exclusives, probably Project Athia and Horizon Zero Dawn at least. From what I remember those Studios usally released their games well put together and not too many bugs.

I merely mentioned the impetus that pushed me to giving up on consoles altogether; no longer plug-n-play; nickel-n-diming people with monthly subscription requirements; increased prices of games themselves with LESS content than before; busted games at release, etc.
Not sure if I'm going to go for it again this go-around, but I haven't really "missed" owning a console for the last 7+ years, either.
Yes, I agree with you -- but at this point that's the case with all platforms. I have a feeling if things keep up at the same pace, PC will surpass or has already surpassed consoles at this point.

n1njacatz

May 20, 2020
I'm looking forward to catching up a bit, specifically with Uncharted, Last of Us, Final Fantasy, and God of War. As far as PS5 exclusives, probably Project Athia and Horizon Zero Dawn at least. From what I remember those Studios usally released their games well put together and not too many bugs.

You'll love the Uncharted series. If you've played the recent Tomb Raiders, you'll really see where Tomb Raider drew their inspiration from. They're story-driven, action packed and the pacing is wonderful. The gunfights, puzzles, and scripted sequences can keep you playing for hours.

KcMsterpce

May 20, 2020
I love Uncharted. I just wish they were on PC so I could pWn more. Some of the requirements in a few missions were hard as heck because you have to run while avoiding obstacles such as roots in the ground, or like an errant LEAF, while spinning around and shooting at someone or something behind you, in circles over and over again... much easier with mouse and keyboard lol
I beat the first two, and actually, the last game I bought for the PS3 was Uncharted 3. Only put about 8 hours into it, though. I was really enjoying the first part because it was like an old-timey adventure story without the supernatural elements. Then, at one point, you end up in an ice cave, and then... Well, it had that supernatural part thrown in. They're such fun games though, with great set pieces. Totally worth playing.

n1njacatz

May 20, 2020
I love Uncharted. I just wish they were on PC so I could pWn more. Some of the requirements in a few missions were hard as heck because you have to run while avoiding obstacles such as roots in the ground, or like an errant LEAF, while spinning around and shooting at someone or something behind you, in circles over and over again... much easier with mouse and keyboard lol
I beat the first two, and actually, the last game I bought for the PS3 was Uncharted 3. Only put about 8 hours into it, though. I was really enjoying the first part because it was like an old-timey adventure story without the supernatural elements. Then, at one point, you end up in an ice cave, and then... Well, it had that supernatural part thrown in. They're such fun games though, with great set pieces. Totally worth playing.
True dat. It took some time getting used to those controls (or maybe they improved upon them in latter games), but it definitely would've been easier with a mouse & keyboard. If they remastered it for the PC I would instantly pounce on that purchase.

For me the set pieces were what I loved most about these games. It really made it into a fantastic, cinematic experience.

Reactions: KcMsterpce