• [BETA] Welcome to the community Guest! We are currently operating in beta. If you notice any issues, please contact us at [email protected]

Featured NVIDIA Announces GeForce RTX 30 Series

Will you be upgrading, if so what model?

• Total voters

n1njacatz

May 20, 2020
Maybe not immediately at launch as I don't even play many games at max settings anymore aside from single player titles.

I'm currently on a 1440p 144hz & a 1080p 240hz monitor and for competitive online games I usually play at low settings.

Once there's a game that really requires all that power then I'll probably pick it up. You?

KcMsterpce

May 20, 2020
Once I know I won't need to be spending lots of money, I would like to build a new PC. At that time, I'll probably get one.

Undisclos3d

Team
Staff member
Premium
Apr 23, 2020
The Internet
justinlosh.com
Maybe not immediately at launch as I don't even play many games at max settings anymore aside from single player titles.

I'm currently on a 1440p 144hz & a 1080p 240hz monitor and for competitive online games I usually play at low settings.

Once there's a game that really requires all that power then I'll probably pick it up. You?
I'm going to probably end up getting the RTX 3080 on release. I'm still sitting with the 1070 TI at the moment.

KcMsterpce

May 20, 2020
I'm going to probably end up getting the RTX 3080 on release. I'm still sitting with the 1070 TI at the moment.
I think you are the perfect candidate to upgrade to a 3080. The 10-series is still a "good" card, but the boost in performance from the 1070 to the 3080 will be dramatic, regardless of what you're gaming with display-wise. You have 1080p 144Hz with HDR, right?
No matter what your display, the addition of the performance in sheer GPU power combined with raytracing will be like night and day, methinks.
I have the 2080 Ti, and a 3440x1440 ultrawide with 120Hz. No HDR (but it's not a huge deal). Additionally, I have a 4k TV at 60Hz with HDR as an option if I want to see the differences in lighting with HDR enabled, but... I don't really play games enough to "need" or severely WANT the newer gen GPUs. It comes down to when I decide to build my new PC, which could be in two months, or in eight months. At that point, I'll see what's available and pull the trigger then.
My current PC will be relegated to a HTIB, I think.

Undisclos3d

Team
Staff member
Premium
Apr 23, 2020
The Internet
justinlosh.com
I think you are the perfect candidate to upgrade to a 3080. The 10-series is still a "good" card, but the boost in performance from the 1070 to the 3080 will be dramatic, regardless of what you're gaming with display-wise. You have 1080p 144Hz with HDR, right?
Yeah, I have 1080p 144Hz w/ HDR. That is exactly what I was thinking, it should be a night and day difference.

KcMsterpce

May 20, 2020
If you have 1080p I really think going above 3080 would be overkill and useless. Higher resolution settings with high refresh would benefit from the VRAM overhead. However, 1080p is kinda "small sauce" and the 3080 is massively overpowered for gaming at that level. But... you'll get the most recent RTX-enabled features and the GPU won't break a sweat utilizing its resources at that resolution. I don't know exactly how much performance boost there is in terms of fps at 1080p with the card's options. I would say that 1440p or higher would help the GPU better allocate performance and temps, it's kind of a "sweet spot" and would have the biggest boost.
Regardless, it will be fun to enjoy the perks of that type of upgrade.

Undisclos3d

Team
Staff member
Premium
Apr 23, 2020
The Internet
justinlosh.com
If you have 1080p I really think going above 3080 would be overkill and useless. Higher resolution settings with high refresh would benefit from the VRAM overhead. However, 1080p is kinda "small sauce" and the 3080 is massively overpowered for gaming at that level. But... you'll get the most recent RTX-enabled features and the GPU won't break a sweat utilizing its resources at that resolution. I don't know exactly how much performance boost there is in terms of fps at 1080p with the card's options. I would say that 1440p or higher would help the GPU better allocate performance and temps, it's kind of a "sweet spot" and would have the biggest boost.
Regardless, it will be fun to enjoy the perks of that type of upgrade.
Err... 1440 x 2560...

Reactions: KcMsterpce