• [BETA] Welcome to the community Guest! We are currently operating in beta. If you notice any issues, please contact us at [email protected]

Featured Having trouble purchasing a new 3000-series GPU?

KcMsterpce

May 20, 2020
I personally knew that this was going to be a shit-show release. I figured the primary issue would be bot-purchases, so scalpers could capitalize on the overpriced resale of bulk purchases.
What's funny though is that websites were DDoS'd, and stock was completely depleted within 30 seconds of release notification.
I personally knew this was going to happen. However, the new RTX cards have an unprecedented record for sales at launch compared to any previous historical norms. Due to covid (and other factors), there have been wildly unforeseen circumstances leading to higher demand for PC products (power supplies are hard to find right now), as well as less actual production of the products due to staffing issues, etc...

For me personally, I was planning on purchasing products for a new build between March-May next year, so I hope some things will settle by then. Also, there is a possibility of Nvidia releasing a "Ti" version of the newest-gen GPUs, which I would be more interested in. However, I will be waiting and waiting for stock to be available at that point for THOSE cards.
Regardless, this is a great overview of some of the issues pertaining to this frenzy of purchasing by Gamer's Nexus. It addresses many of the angry responses by consumers, as well as the logistics behind WHY shit's so insanely off the wall over the new Nvidia cards, and the PC market in general:

Last edited:

Undisclos3d

Team
Staff member
Premium
Apr 23, 2020
The Internet
justinlosh.com
Yeah, about that -- I hat a gut feeling that something like this would happen, but didn't quite expect the extremes that it came down to. There have been various statements released, NIVIDIA and NewEgg below. Also they're already popping up on eBay for $3,000 Buy It Now prices. I'm still going to try and get my hands on a 3080 as soon as I can, but I assume that will be a while. Both NVIDIA and NewEgg stated they were prepared and had solutions implement to prevent this kind of thing, but no reCaptcha in sight at all -- and no other solutions that I saw.

NVIDIA STATEMENT:

This morning we saw unprecedented demand for the GeForce RTX 3080 at global retailers, including the NVIDIA online store. At 6 a.m. pacific we attempted to push the NVIDIA store live. Despite preparation, the NVIDIA store was inundated with traffic and encountered an error. We were able to resolve the issues and sales began registering normally.

To stop bots and scalpers on the NVIDIA store, we’re doing everything humanly possible, including manually reviewing orders, to get these cards in the hands of legitimate customers. Over 50 major global retailers had inventory at 6 a.m. pacific. Our NVIDIA team and partners are shipping more RTX 3080 cards every day to retailers. We apologize to our customers for this morning's experience.